Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Capacitation and Communication... who knew?

A very interesting site which explains the process that sperm need to go through in order to be able to fertilize an egg: http://www.embryology.ch/anglais/dbefruchtung/weg03.html

I recently came across this word again in my studies and realized suddenly the importance of this process to A and I. It basically means that the sperm needs to hang out in the female genital tract preparing itself, getting ready for the big job. It appears as though the process begins in the male but the majority of the 'stripping' takes place in the female.

So while my little egg is hanging out, sending out come-hither signals, (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9D0CE4DF103EF931A35757C0A967958260), A's boys are getting hyperactive whippin' their heads and tails around.

Maybe this is directly related to the male/female reproduction dance. Think sexy lady; laying around waiting for her man... then think dude; racing in the door, stripping off his clothes and... whippin' his head and tail around. Hmmm.... communication and capacitation.

I think that we had the sperm there in time for them to strip and head for the egg this time around, but... my ovulation discharge was a little bit weak this time around. It needs to nourish and speed A's boys along as well. I am hoping that it was at least kind to his boys. It can be nasty, killing them with acids and sending them in the wrong direction (maybe they should just damn-well stop and get directions - lord knows the egg is trying to direct them... are they listening?).

Wow, how do babies ever get conceived?

Oh well, we will have to see whether the stars were aligned properly.

I am not really particularly keen to chart my BBT and the such like, I guess that I will if need be, but wouldn't be amazing if it just happened the way it was supposed to?

No comments:

Post a Comment